UCL (University College London) Medical School Interview Questions 2022 Explained
University College London (UCL) Medical school interview questions 2022 explained
You secured an interview for University College London (UCL) Medical School, and now it’s time to turn that interview into an acceptance offer. The key lies in acing your interview with proper preparation so that nothing comes as a shock the day of. This guide lays out the general format the interview follows, the question formats you can expect to see, and the best way to answer them. Let’s get started.
Key Interview Information and Statistics For UCL
Competition for a spot at UCL medical school is undeniably tough! With around 3500 applications received for just 334 places, detailed preparation is essential for success.
From these 3500 applicants, UCL interviews up to 950. This means that if you secure an interview, you have roughly a 1/3 chance of securing a spot. Interviews run from December to March
UCL medical school uses panel style interview with 2-3 interviewers. For the 2021-2022 application cycle UCL will hold online interviews; these interviews will last roughly 20 minutes and take place between December and March.
How Do UCL Select Applicants For Interview? UCL Medicine Selection Criteria.
UCL takes a more comprehensive look at applicants prior to interview unlike many medical schools using solely UCAT/BMAT and academic results. They will analyse these results alongside your personal statement and academic referees assessments to gauge potential suitability for the course. This sets the tone for the interview; they want to learn about you! Expect specific questions on your work experience and personal statement, come with examples ready to discuss with the examiners.
Can I Reapply to UCL Medical School if I Have Been Unsuccessful Previously?
Yes. UCL welcomes applications from previously unsuccessful applicants.
How Does UCL’s Approach to Medical Work Experience Differ to Many Universities?
UCL will verify the work experience placements of a sample of applicants. As a result, they recommend applicants obtain letters of reference or confirmation of attendance from supervisors and keep these ready to submit if needed. Do not let this requirement catch you out as UCL is one of the few medical schools to do this.
How will I be assessed at my UCL interview? – source: ucl.ac.uk
Interviewers will score candidates in the following areas:
· Academic curiosity and interest in healthcare.
· Motivation for and understanding of a career in medicine (including robustness for the course).
· Problem solving and reasoning ability.
· Professional attitudes and values (factors such as flexibility, integrity, empathy, honesty, conscientiousness and compassion).
· Teamwork, leadership, resilience and individual strengths .
· Communication skills (including verbal ability, listening skills, eye contact).
UCL Medical School Interview Example Questions
Academic Curiosity and Interest in Healthcare - UCL Medicine
· Recently, the government has announced a ‘covid recovery plan’ to help reduce the impact of covid on the NHS. Can you tell me about this?
· Tell me about a scientific article you have read recently that is of interest to you.
· Can you give me an example of a time where you have undertaken an independent research project?
· How is the NHS funded?
Motivation and Understanding of a Career in Medicine - UCL Medicine
· How would you dissuade someone from going into medicine?
· Is there a particular area of medicine that interests you?
· What is the difference between a doctor and a physician’s associate?
Problem Solving and Reasoning Ability - UCL Medicine
· Recently, uptake of the MMR childhood vaccine has gone down. Can you suggest some reasons as to why this is the case?
· Tell me about a time when you have had to change a plan under pressure.
Professional Attitudes and Values - UCL Medicine
· Please tell me about the role of the GMC in regulating doctors.
· How should doctors handle mistakes?
Teamwork, Leadership, Resilience, and Individual Strengths - UCL Medicine
· What is your proudest achievement?
· You are tasked with forming a well-functioning team. How do you do this?
· Tell me about a time when you have demonstrated resilience
Communication Skills - UCL Medicine
· How would you explain the concept of leadership to a five year old? Why are you communicating in this way?
Closing Words on UCL Medicine
Hopefully this blog has broken down the interview process at UCL and given you an idea of some of the questions you may face! For information on interviews at other medical schools please check our blog section!
Key Resources For UCL Medicine Interview
· UCL selection procedure and interview assessment domains: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/selection-interviews/selection-procedure
Get in touch if you want expert advice and tuition for UCL Medical School.
BOOK YOUR MOCK UCL MEDICINE INTERVIEW TODAY!
OUR MOCK INTERVIEW WILL PREPARE YOU FULLY FOR A UCL MEDICINE INTERVIEW. REAL STATIONS WITH REAL INTERVIEWERS WHO WILL GIVE YOU FULL VERBAL AND WRITTEN FEEDBACK AS WELL AS RELEVANT TEACHING AND TIPS TO ACE YOUR UCL INTERVIEW!